Saturday, December 7, 2013

PB & J Thumbprints

I always try to find something interesting to make for my annual cookie exchange and I try to pick one certain flavor or element. This year, I liked the idea of fruit/jam. So I thought, "I can make Thumbprint cookies, like my mom always done." But then I thought, there has to be a way to punch it up a notch. And that is when I came across Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprints on Foodnetwork! I couldn't resist, even if it was risky because I made them the day of the exchange and there was NOT a plan B!


PB & J Thumbprints

Yield 24 cookies
(adapted from FoodNetwork.com)

Ingredients

1 stick (4 oz) butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed, light )
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup  Sugar in the Raw
1/3 cup strawberry preserves

Directions

In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, add the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar, and blend until creamy; scrape the sides of the bowl. Then add the salt, vanilla and egg, and blend until combined. Lower the speed of the mixer and add the flour in 1/2-cup intervals. Between each addition be sure to completely blend in all the flour and scrape the sides as before. Once completely combined, scrape the dough out of the mixer, add to a container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and, using a tablespoon, scoop out the dough (approx 1oz) and roll into a ball between your hands. Then roll the formed ball in the Sugar in the Raw and place on the prepared baking sheets. Repeat for the rest of the balls, making sure to separate them on the sheet by about 1 inch. 

Once all the balls are on the baking sheet, make an indentation in the center of each using the rounded end of the back of a rounded teaspoon. Fill the center of each with about 1/2 teaspoon strawberry preserves. Bake until lightly golden, about 13 minutes. Remove to a wire rack. Let cool before serving.

These were very easy to make. I did NOT plan ahead for needing to rest/chill them for 2 hours but I found a way to fit it in. I think that step is very important, as the peanut butter would get really sticky. I LOVE the texture the Sugar in the Raw gives these cookies. Even my picky husband liked these...I was shocked! These will now be part of our Christmas cookies making tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment