Monday, May 28, 2012

Homemade Bagels

I tried something new today: made homemade bagels from scratch. I love bagels but always thought they were too difficult to make yourself. Well, think again! I found a recipe at my favorite recipe website (allrecipes.com) and thought I'd try them. The part that made them "easy" is you make the dough in a bread machine! Yes, please. I HATE kneading bread, waiting for it to rise, punching it down and repeat. So when I found a "Bread Machine Bagel" recipe, I thought even I could do this.
  


Homemade Bagels (courtesy of allrecipes.com)

Prep Time: 30 Min
Cook Time: 3 Hrs 25 Min
Ready In: 3 Hrs 55 Min
Yield: 8 bagels

Ingredients
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
3 quarts boiling water
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 egg
1 tsp water
3 tablespoons poppy seeds

Directions

  1. Place water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough setting.
  2. When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface. Meanwhile, in a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 3 tablespoons of sugar.
  3. Cut dough into 8 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each. Twirl the dough on your finger to enlarge the hole, and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest for 10 minutes.
  4. Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning half way through. Drain briefly on clean towel. Dip in cornmeal and arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Beat egg and water. Glaze tops with egg mixture, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
  5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned.
The original recipe said to separate dough into 9, yes NINE, equal pieces. Hmmm, unless you weigh that out, I don't think I can even separate by 9. So I changed it to 8, but they make somewhat large bagels (maybe sandwich sized). I would like to try making them in a "mini" size by separating into 12.

Also, I thought it would be better dip the bagels in the cornmeal instead of spreading it on the baking sheet. I spread it and it burned while in the oven and smelled up the house. My bagels also turned out just a little flat, so I would probably let them rise just a bit longer next time (after poking the whole in them).

After they cooled, I decided to make a turkey sandwich with one of the bagels. Super yumm-O, if I do say so myself!

I can't wait until next time to try some different flavors. Cinnamon and sugar. Herbs. Onion. Lots of options!

No comments:

Post a Comment